• friendsofmagazine

Disabled Facilities Grant, What Are They For And How Can You Apply For One?

Article supplied by: Kare Plus Chorley

Want to stay in your own home, but starting to struggle with managing access to the upstairs or the bathroom?

You may be eligible for funding from the disabled facilities grant (DFG). This is capital funding designed to help people to remain independent in their own homes for as long as possible through the provision of essential home adaptations, which includes equipment like grab rails, access ramps, stairlifts, through-the-floor lifts and door widening.

Are you eligible?

A DFG is there to pay for essential housing adaptations to help you stay in your home and live an independent life, and you may be eligible for one.

Set categories of provision are considered by an assessor, for example if access to the bathroom or bedroom is required then the installation of a stair life may be provided:

Here’s what you need to know about the DFG:

• It’s means-tested for adults, but will not affect any other benefits you receive

• Means-testing does not apply to disabled children under 18 so parents’ income will not be a factor

• You must own the property or be a tenant, with the intention to stay there at least five years

• The grant amount depends on household income and savings. The max grant is £30,000 in England

• You will receive payments in instalments as the work progresses, or in full when the work is finished

Here’s how to apply:

The government has a budget of £505m will is available for Disabled Facilities Grant and to apply for one, you need to phone your local council and request an assessment.

The easiest way to do this is to call Lancashire County Council on 0300 123 6720 and ask to speak to the adult social care team who can offer advice and assessments.

Other agencies such as Age UK can also offer advice and are also able to complete an application on your behalf.